Project Trident: A Scientific Workflow Workbench is a set of tools based on the Windows Workflow Foundation that addresses scientists’ need for a flexible, powerful way to analyze large, diverse datasets. It includes graphical tools for creating, running, managing, and sharing workflows.
- Trident Workflow Composer provides graphical tools for creating workflows.
- For large data sets, Trident can run multiple workflows in parallel on a Windows HPC Server 2008 cluster.
- Trident Workflow Application - available in Windows Presentation Foundation and Silverlight versions - provides a simple way to run Trident workflows. The Microsoft Silverlight version of the Trident workflow application enables users to run workflows remotely using a Silverlight-enabled browser via Web services.
- Trident is integrated with myExperiment - a workflow collaboration portal - so scientists can easily share their Trident workflows with colleagues.
- Trident security model supports users and roles that allows scientists to control access rights to their workflows.
- The Trident Registry maintains libraries of workflows and activities, workflow inputs and outputs, workflow versions, and associated data products; each user can have a personal workflow library and can share workflows with other users.
- Trident Management Studio manages the Trident Registry and workflow execution, schedules workflows, and monitors workflow executions locally or remotely.
Project Trident provides a framework to add runtime services and comes with services such as provenance and publish-subscribe of workflow runtime data. Developers can extend Trident by implementing custom components to handle specialized processing requirements for data collection, data analysis, and data visualization.
Project Trident is available under the Apache 2.0 open source license, and executables, source code, and documentation are freely downloadable.
With Project Trident, you can author workflows visually by using a catalog of existing activities and complete workflows. The workflow workbench provides a tiered library that hides the complexity of different workflow activities and services for ease of use.